Thursday, June 13, 2013

How to: Dress Business Casual

How to: Dress Business Casual!


Sorry this took so long to post but I've been so busy with papers that I kept postponing my blogging time! Anyways, to follow up my How to: Dress for Convocations (check it out in case you haven't yet), I came across another problem. Ever have a situation where the attire simply requests for 'Business Casual'?  What is 'Business Casual' exactly!? Till this very day, I still don't know what it is exactly asides from the LITERAL interpretation of it being Casual business wear but you know what I mean :) It's like bridging across something you'd wear to an interview and something you'd wear to a business presentation (kind of what led me to posting about this). I couldn't exactly decide if I was too 'dressed up' so I put a couple outfits together to decide! 

So there's a simple guideline I stick to when it comes to Business Casual, Cover up. I can't stress this enough and I know this sounds like a 'no duh' moment but you'd be surprised at the amount of people that don't realize it could be the reason why it's costing them the job opportunity! To start things off, I usually try to cover up my shoulders. Even if it's a hot summer day and you have a nice chiffon tank top that you want to wear, great, consider throwing on a nice shawl or a basic pull over. Generally when you're asked to wear business casual, it means dress professionally. This doesn't mean you have to wear a full suit but it also doesn't mean you should dress too casually. Check out my outfits and descriptions below to see what YOU can also wear for a presentation or even to an interview!



(Descriptions will be made from Left to Right, Top to bottom)
  1. Mint Green Chiffon Top and Black Pants (Top left): This is a simple top and pants combo where my shoulders are COVERED so it's not too revealing and I've also paired it with a white cami underneath to prevent from showing too much. Definitely pair it up with a blazer if you'd like but in this case, I was aiming for a look I'd wear on a cool summer day. The top is from Aritzia and the black pants are from Gap!
  2. White Laced Top with a Black Collar and Black Pencil Skirt (Center Top): Similar to the previous look, this is more of relaxed look that would be perfect for a summer day. Instead of going for pants, the black pencil skirt paired with the white laced top gives it more of a feminine touch. I got the White laced top from the Korean Online shop, GMarket.
  3. Blue Chiffon Top and Black Pencil Skirt (Top Right):  So using the same pencil skirt from the previous look, we can achieve yet another look by going for some colours. My favourite colour is blue and I love this top that I got from Korea. Pair it up with a nice pencil skirt and you've got a classy yet professional outfit perfect for an interview, presentation or work! The pencil skirt is from  H&M.
  4. Half Sheer Blue Tank Top with a Navy Striped Blazer and Black Pants (Bottom Left): Going back to the black pants, this look is definitely more polished and professional. The mid-lengthed blazer cleans up the 'sexy' , more revealing look of the sheer tank top underneath. Pairing this look with a pencil skirt would work too but I personally like this better with black pants. Top that off with a nice pair black heels, and you're good to go for that presentation! The half sheer tank top is from H&M and the Navy striped blazer is from Korea.
  5. Tan Blazer with a Floral Tank Top and Black Pants (Center Bottom): Floral and tribal prints are definitely hot items for Spring/Summer 2013. What better way to show off your floral prints by pairing it with basic colours like tan and black? This look gives the vibe of being professional yet presentable. If you switch the pants for a pencil skirt, it'd give it the 'classy office lady' look that you might want to attract that cute co-worker of yours ;) The floral tank top is from H&M and blazer is from the online shop Gmarket.
  6. Half Sheer Blue Tank Top with an Oversized Boyfriend Blazer (Bottom Right): The final look is what I would consider the most Business Casual out of all the looks I've put together. Using the same half sheer blue tank top from look #4, I've switched up the polished look for a more laid back casual look by pairing it with an oversized boyfriend blazer. Notice how this blazer is not too long so that it looks OVER bulky but is not tight fitted like the other blazer either. This is what I ended up wearing for my business presentation the other day! The oversized boyfriend blazer is from American Eagle Outfitters.
Well there you go! I apologize for not being able to show you guys where I actually GET my clothes. As you can probably tell, most of my wardrobe is from Korea. Please remember, I'm not professional in this field but they're just some tips that may or may not help you when you're looking for a "Business Casual" outfit. Bottom line, Just Bee Yourself, and it'll all work out just the way you planned it! Good luck!

Make sure to follow my Instagram for more updates!

1 comment:

  1. these looks are fab and perfect for work or an interview :)

    http://sillylittlepictures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete